So roll up your sleeves, les amis! Mama Mia…
Ingredients: 4 eggs, 400 grams flour (best flour for pasta is what’s called “00” flour – Italian Double Zero 00 – Soft Wheat for Pizza Dough, Bread, & Pasta)
You will need a pasta machine to use this recipe
Serving: 100 grams per person; 4 people requires 4 eggs & 400 grams flour
Basic rule is 1 egg to every 100 grams of flour…use the best free range eggs as the yolks give the pasta its colour.
Sift the flour on a work surface & make a crater with the flour then add the eggs into the crater, sprinkle three-finger pinch of sea salt. Whisk the eggs while slowly incorporating the flour until combined. Use your hands to make a ball & knead the dough. Continue kneading for about 10 minutes (it’s a workout) or until smooth & pliable.
Leave the dough to rest about 30 minutes wrapped in cling film (do not refrigerate).
Once rested cut the dough in half and roll it out. Flatten with the palm of your hand so it fits through the 1st setting on the pasta machine (ours is marked 0).
Pass your dough through the widest setting one time then fold on side over the other . Flatten the dough with the palm of your hand so it will fit through the widest setting & roll through again…Repeat this 4 times!
Attach the required pasta machine attachment to make fettuccine, spaghetti, lasagna etc and roll through.
If not cooking right away make nests out of the pasta to dry.
Additional tips for making pasta dough:
1. Use 00′ flour for the best results when making pasta dough from scratch.
2. Use the highest quality free range eggs possible.
3. Knead the dough for no less than 10 minutes. It should be smooth and elastic in texture. If you’re unsure cut the dough in half, if there are tiny air bubbles inside the dough it’s ready.
4. Make sure to rest the pasta dough for 30 minutes before rolling out.
5. Make sure to lightly sprinkle flour on your work surface when rolling out.
6. Always sprinkle a little flour on the rollers of your pasta machine to stop it sticking.
December 29, 2020